We camped right next to a small stream, so I spent the first little while trying to keep Lacie and Megan away from the water where big kids were catching "crawdads" (crayfish).
When Megan disappeared toward the water, I tried to distract Lacie from following me in my search by pointing out a huge bug. I said, "Wow! Keep an eye on this so that we can show Megan."
I certainly didn't expect this result:
(This is my new favorite picture of Lacie.)
Megan lost interest after a while, but Lacie played with that bug for at least a half an hour. The other kids crowded around her, and I watched little boys run away screaming. I was so proud. My little princess girls were more brave than the boys! I had to laugh as I heard a mom say, "Why don't you play with that bug somewhere else. I don't want you to take it near my son." How's that for backwards?
Lacie was so cute. Kids would want to hold the bug, but then chicken out. Lacie would end up practically chasing them--holding out the bug. She wasn't trying to torture them--she just wanted to hand them the beetle. It was hilarious.
While Lacie and Megan entertained/terrified the beetle, Melissa and her friends found "the bridge to Terebithia. Melissa hasn't read the book or seen the movie, but that didn't stop her from exploring a made up magical world with the other girls. They were entertained for two days.
I'm not sure if this was in "Terebithia" or just someplace Steve and Lacie found when they went exploring.
(Is that the best expression, or what?)
Breakfast was prepared by the men. To say they were creative would be an understatement.
If you are a fan of "Tim, the Toolman, Taylor" from Home Improvement, here's where you insert a proper, "Oh, oh, oh." (Some sort of manly grunt.)
The food was fantastic. We were treated to homemade root beer, dutch oven chili, pot roast and two kinds of cobbler (plus salads brought by the ladies) for dinner, and eggs, bacon, sausage and pancakes for breakfast. I love it when the men do the cooking!
It was a lot of fun. Thanks to everyone who helped plan, cook, etc.
Maybe next year we'll invest in a larger tent so that Steve and I might actually sleep!















2 comments:
What a fun time! I loved doing our ward campout because it was night, but this year they didn't have it. The bug pictures - ewwww!
I'm jealous of your fantastic camping trip, sounds like it was a blast. I just love camping. I can't say that I would want to hold that beetle, though I'm totally impressed that your little girls did that. The foods sounds so yummy and I love that beater.
Post a Comment