Last week, we came across an unbelievable deal on the floor model of a loft bed/desk/dresser combo in the style I have been wanting for a very long time. (Because of the size, the window placement, and the double closets in Megan and Lacie's room, this is the best option for beds and dresser space.) There was just one problem with the beds (besides the fact that Steve would have to make a special trip to Vegas to pick them up and them reassemble them with no directions) --- they are navy blue.
Here's the girls' bedroom before:
My mom and I made the quilt when I was expecting Megan, and I hand painted the dresser years ago. Despite the lack of decorating, to me the room looks light and very girlie.
Here's the room with the new beds/dresser/desk:
(Lacie's toddler mattress and some throw pillows wrapped in the quilt are serving as a temporary mattress on top of the old box spring.)
It's very functional . . . but now it screams dark and . . . well . . . not girlie. I don't like the view from the door because it is so dark. That is the only place the bed will fit. What would you do? The furniture can be painted (but I'd love to find a different solution).
(Don't misunderstand my post. I love the beds. I'm happy we bought them. I'm just searching for ideas to brighten the room. I'd trade the wrong color for 1/2 price on something like this any day!)
On a more fun note, it took about 3.2 seconds before the attached desk was turned into "The Shop." Since yesterday, Megan's Malt Shop and Lacie's Diner have both become franchises, with new chains at "The Shop."
The top of the bed is also temporarily serving as a pirate ship. The possibilities are endless!
Ooh--I just got my first idea to brighten the room. Maybe until I paint the furniture some day, I can string some light-colored pennants across the back of the top bunk. Something like this.
Sunday, January 22, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








6 comments:
Could you make some sort of light-colored bulletin board or quilted memory board (think criss-crossed ribbons--I'm not describing it well) to mount on the foot of the bunkbed above the desk? Light pink or something? It would at least lighten up that portion, so when you look through the door, the dark part would be down near the floor, and a light color would be on top. Does that even make sense?
This is Kim Middleton, by the way. I am apparently logged in as Charles. Oops!
Or maybe instead of painting the entire set of furniture, just paint the drawer fronts, or change the pulls to something light and girlie? Maybe decoupage the drawer fronts with some cute paper that you could also make pennants out of to hang on the top of the bed, like you mentioned in your post?
Wow! I LOVE the beds!! I have to admit to being just a touch jealous!! Enjoy them!!
i love the beds too. the navy blue color is fun! add red and lime green accents and you will love it. yes, red and lime green. go!
you can see the window from the door so if you want to brighten the view from the door you need a valance or curtains in a fun pattern. that will help a lot along with a different quilt on the bed. can you put decals on the part of the bed you see from the door. check out etsy. bright colored flowers, etc?
Post a Comment