Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Birthday Insanity

I'll admit that I was borderline insane when I agreed to the number of girls Melissa could invite to her birthday party. I think I was banking on the fact that several wouldn't be able to come. I don't mean that I wanted kids to say no. I'm happy that Melissa's friends could come celebrate with her. In my mind I just thought, "It's busy December. Surely families will have things to do, and several kids won't be able to come." What was I thinking? If you had the opportunity to drop off your child at someone's house for two hours during busy December, would you say no? Of course not!!! And that's why all but one girl RSVP'd with a yes.

I think I almost had a nervous breakdown before it was time for the party, but now that it's been over for weeks, it's easy to forget how stressful it was. I think Steve will remind me next time it's time for another party!

The girls colored giant pictures, decorated cakes, made clips for their hair, and played "Pin the Crown on the Princess."


The stress was worth it. (Although I'm not sure Steve would agree!)

If only the stress had ended with the party. A few hours later, Melissa had a birthday party to attend, and we had a ward activity. Because we had so many things going on that day, I mixed up the times and picked Melissa up 1/2 hour late from her party. I thought I was picking her up early!!! Oops.

We finished the night with our ward "Night in Bethlehem" activity. Steve got sick at the last minute, so the girls and I went alone. We dressed in our Bethlehem finest, took our taxes--a can of food and 10 penths (pennies)--to the church, and enjoyed browsing the streets of Bethlehem. We paid taxes, bought dinner and trinkets from the street vendors, and enjoyed a Nativity play.

It was a nice end to a busy day (except for Steve not feeling well.)

No comments: