Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Interview with an eight-year-old


Today my baby turned 8 years old. In my mind, she is officially a big girl.

What was the best part of her morning? . . . her first legal car ride with no booster seat. (We only have to take two car seats on our trip to Michigan later this month. Yeah!)

I am copying a friend and starting a new birthday tradition . . . Birthday interviews. (Forgive me, Mendy. I copied your interview questions. I'm too tired to think of my own today!)

Here we go:

What was the best part of being 7?
Getting my ears pierced.

What do you think will be the best part about being 8?
I get to be baptized.

What are your favorite activities?
Playing jumprope, the playground, and Amie's trampoline.

What else do you like to do?
I like to play with my friends.

Which sports are your favorites?
Swimming and gymnastics.

Give me three words that describe your room.
Big . . . I don't really know any more.

What was your favorite birthday present?
My hang-down earrings.

What is your favorite thing to hear Mom say?
I love you. [Aww.]

What is your favorite food?
Pasta [She means angel-hair pasta with broccoli, carrots, and chicken.]

What's your favorite treat?
Chocolate. [Smart girl!]

What do you want to be when you grow up?
A teacher or an paleontologist--the dinosaur-digging thing.

What is your favorite book?
Magic Tree House [a book series]

What is your favorite movie?
Monsters' Inc., Thunderbirds [We just discovered Thunderbirds at the library last month. If you're looking for a good, clean family movie, try that one.]

What is your favorite thing about your mom?
That she is nice.

What is your favorite thing about your dad?
He's funny.

Why are you special?
Because you love me. [Aww. I'm all choked up!]

Have you done anything this year that you are proud of?
I'm learning new math every day. I'm proud that I can climb the rope almost all the way to the top in gymnastics.

Melissa, I'm so happy you are in our family. I can't believe how quickly you are growing up. You are such a good helper. I love it when you read to your sisters and play nicely with them. It's so fun to watch you get better and better at gymnastics. I'm excited to see you learn new things. You're doing great in school. I'm so proud of you for working hard and doing your best!

I love you!


(I have to explain why her cake is so tiny. She and her friends will be decorating mini cakes at her party on Saturday, so we will be baking cakes all week. I'm sure we'll have lots of extras. We decided to go easy on the family cake!)

1 comment:

Haley said...

Happy birthday, Melissa! Please pass along my birthday wishes. I forgot to call...