Saturday, May 8, 2010

Transformation


I transformed the drawer pulls for the new desk from brass to oil rubbed bronze.  Pretty cool, huh?

Want to know how to do it?

First, spray your entire project with Glossy Wood Tone 757 by Design Master.  This is a floral spray, so look for it in the floral section, not the paint section.  This will give your brass a coppery look.  The advice I was given for that spray is to spray lightly from far away, and add multiple coats until you get the color you like.

*Very important tip:  Do not leave the spray can anywhere that Lacie (or fill in the name of your toddler) can reach it.  Even if you put it up high and turn your back for just a second, you may be surprised to find your "Lacie" crouched in front of your project holding the spray can and poised to spray!

Next, apply a coat of  Ebony Rub 'n Buff by Amaco.  This is a wax metallic finish.  It smells suspiciously like shoe polish.  The Rub 'n Buff is tricky.  It dries really fast, and if you rub too much, it comes right off.  I think it must be made for things you don't touch very often--like picture frames, lamps, etc.

Finally, apply several coats of clear acrylic coating to seal the Rub 'n Buff.  (I used UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating by Krylon.)

It is still possible to scratch the finish, but I don't have any idea how to fix that.  Maybe varnish--but I don't want the pulls to look varnishy.  If anyone has any ideas to make them totally scratch resistant, please let me know!

* Don't forget.  You almost never have to pay full price at craft stores.  Before you buy, go online and get a coupon!  Most craft stores will accept other craft store coupons.  I'm such a cheapskate that I'll go to the store several times in a day or a week and buy just one item for my project at a time.

2 comments:

Haley said...

looks great!

Chantel said...

They do look pretty awesome. A huge difference.