Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Developing Talents


When I was younger, I took piano lessons, but I quit when the teacher insisted that I cut my fingernails.  She pulled out her clippers during the lesson.  I promised I would cut them myself before my next lesson, and then I quit and never went back.  Pretty vain, don't you think?  I guess if a little thing like fingernails would hold me back, I really wasn't that committed or interested.

Fast forward to college.  Oh, how I wished I had not quit taking lessons!  I started lessons again during one summer vacation.  I only remember one or two lessons, and I don't remember practicing much.

Fast forward again to a year ago.  We signed Melissa up for piano lessons, but she didn't really want to practice, and I didn't have the discipline to remind her.  We stopped the lessons after a couple of months.

Now to the present.  This time, Melissa was more committed to practicing, and I was still wished I had not quit my own lessons.  The solution?  We both signed up for lessons.  We motivate each other to practice, and we sometimes quiz each other on our notes flash cards.  It's working.  Melissa is progressing, and so am I.  It's amazing how different taking lessons is when it's your idea and you are paying for them yourself.  (I'm talking about me, not Melissa.)

Melissa's teacher is a teenager, and she doesn't do recitals.  Mine is an adult, and she does.  So, I had my first recital last week.  Yes, I was the oldest student, but there were two adults.

Steve took a video and picture with his phone.  I didn't know he recorded it, but since he keeps asking when I'm going to post the video, I guess I'd better.  You don't really need to watch it.  Really.  It's painfully slow and has lots of mistakes, but you know what?  I don't really care.  I'm taking lessons for fun.  I know I can play it just fine at home, so I'm not really worried.  Boy, it's nice to be an adult sometimes!

So, without further ado, here is Heidi Fowler performing Minuet in G, by Bach:


(The video starts after a few measures and stops before the song is over.)

My piano teachers from the past would be so proud.  No one had to threaten to cut my nails!

5 comments:

Haley said...

YEAH!!!! That was so great, I almost cried! good job!!!

Heidi said...

You mean cried because of all the missed notes and huge pauses?

Thanks!

Jenni said...

Great job!! I think it's awesome that you are taking piano lessons. I wish I had not quit when I was young... Maybe someday I'll take lessons again too.:)

Jenny D. said...

yay!heidi! good job!



~rachel

wendyberd said...

that is SO awesome!!!!! i am so proud of you! you are setting such a great example to your daughter. vote for Heidi F. for mother of the year!!!