Friday, July 13, 2012

Fun with Celiac

Melissa has been complaining of stomach aches for at least two years.  Megan just started complaining, too, but it seems like it's probably sympathy pain. (I get a lot of stomach aches, too.  It's kind of the cool thing around our house.)

This morning we found out that Megan--not Melissa--has celiac disease.  It runs on both sides of our family, so I'll have a lot of support with ideas for cooking and things, but it's pretty sad for little Megan.  This afternoon I went shopping for the first time--with celiac on my brain.  My sister, Haley (who has celiac), warned me that I would probably suffer an emotional breakdown in the middle of the grocery store.  I know exactly what she meant.  As I filled my cart with a new toaster, waffle iron, frying pan, cutting board -- the least expensive I could find -- and passed shelf after shelf of things Megan can no longer have, it was quite a bit depressing.

It's a good thing that I picked up a giant bag of peanut M&M's and stashed them in my purse before I got to Walmart.  It was amazingly comforting to stuff my face with chocolate as I shopped!  :)

1 comment:

Susan G. said...

I can SO relate to the breakdowns in the middle of the grocery store...and the drive through, and the birthday party!!! Hang in there. If anyone can handle it it's you!!