And my dad's the bravest guy,
And my dad's the nicest guy of any guy around.
He can do anything.
He'll fix your bike,
He'll fix your swing,
'Cause my dad, my dad's the greatest dad of all.
Today is my dad's birthday. Those lyrics are from a song I remember singing as a child. I believed those words growing up, and I still believe them today.
I've typed a few different things trying to describe my dad to you, but I've erased them all. They make him sound too perfect. No, my dad's not perfect, but he's pretty darn close in my eyes.
Thanks, Dad, for teaching me about service, respect, hard work, and integrity. Thanks for hugging me with tears in your eyes after the one or two light spankings you gave me growing up. You never punished in anger. (As a parent, I now know how difficult that must have been!) Thanks for teaching me how to laugh. Thanks for driving an hour to and from work to do a job that you didn't really enjoy. Thanks for teaching by example. Thanks for being you.
I love you.
Now, on a lighter note . . .
Growing up, Dad was very busy. When he was home with the family, he made the most of it. Dinner time was a treat full of great food (thanks to Mom) and great laughs (thanks to Dad). I hope to continue that tradition at my house. (Hmmm--I guess I'd better get cooking, and Steve better brush up on his jokes!)
Here are some cute pics of Dad that are memorable to me:
Melissa and Dad playing in the snow December of 2005. Who needs a sled when you have a cardboard box?

Here's Melissa trying to be just like Grandpa.
Melissa and Dad doing a little painting project together. (Grandma did most of the work, but somehow she disappeared when it was time for pictures!)
And, finally, here's my most recent picture:
While Mom and Dad were visiting, a whole bunch of little girls showed up to play. Dad had them eating out of the palm of his hand! They loved him. My favorite part was when they all crowded on the couch around him to watch a show together.
I love that Dad is so much more relaxed now that he is retired (well, sort of retired). It's fun to see him be able to play with the kids without having to worry about deadlines and things.
Happy Birthday, Dad!

2 comments:
I love Dad too! But I was sad I couldn't get a hold of him yesterday, did you?
Sounds like a great man. Happy Birthday to your sweet dad.
Post a Comment