Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Adventure Continues

Day 2: Sunday at the Hotel
Sunday, Day 2, was quite uneventful. Steve had classes all day, so the girls and I hung out at the hotel. I planned to brave my fear of driving on the unfamiliar freeways and find a church to attend with the girls. This was the first full day in the hotel, so the girls were still quite enamored with our room and did not want to leave. When I asked them if they wanted to go to church, they all said no. When I told them that the hotel would get very boring, they didn't believe me.

We got ready for church anyway. (Asking if they wanted to go to church was really just a formality. After all, who's in charge here? To be honest, I didn't expect them to say no, though. I was kind of surprised. They all love church. I guess the hotel room was just too exciting. After all, there was a rolling, spinning desk chair. Does it get any better?)

Ten minutes before church was to begin (I never said that we got ready quickly!) my internet went out, and I couldn't refind the address for the church. I tried several times and gave up. In hindsight, I could've asked the front desk. They probably had a list of churches and addresses, but I wasn't smart enough to think of that.

So the girls and I spent our day in the hotel room--all ready for church! I wasn't kidding about the desk chair. They honestly entertained themselves for hours by spinning each other around. It was a great game until Megan didn't hold on tightly enough and was sent flying off onto the hard floor--head first. That ended that game. The rest of their time was spent playing house in their tiny little hotel room house. I guess if you think about it, it was like their very own playhouse. They felt like they were the mom because they could get their own food, drinks and everything.

As for me . . . no surprise. I read a book . . . all day.

After our TV dinners and hotdogs with Steve, we headed out for a stroll along the bay. This is where we discoved one of our most important vacation finds: Our double jogging stroller can hold all three kids! That fact made our trip much more enjoyable! (Although we had to endure kids jumping in and out and an occasional spat over real estate, we never had to hear, "I'm too tired. Carry me!" What a blessing!)

The boardwalk was lined with sculptures of "trees." Only one resembled a tree. The rest were whimsical interpretations, and I don't know why I didn't take any pictures! One "tree" was shaped to look like a giant squid.

The boardwalk was lined with current and historic boats, an aircraft carrier, and a submarine. We planned to take a tour eventually, but forgot all about it. Oops!


Here are the girls sitting precariously close to the water. If you've read any of the posts about Lacie lately, you can understand why my heart jumped a mile every time she got anywhere near the edge. I would not have put it past her to jump right in. She loves the water, and she thinks she is bulletproof. A pretty dangerous combination!

Just as we got the kids out of the stroller to take pictures, some people walked up and said, "We know you from somewhere." It was the Jensens, some friends from Florida. Small world. While Steve and the Jensens chatted, I tried to keep Lacie and Megan from falling in the bay--a tough job!


I couldn't decide which picture of Megan and Missy was cuter, so you get both. Lacie only got one shot. My heart couldn't stand her being so close to the water long enough for more than one. The water was literally about six inches from where she was sitting.

Oh, and by the way, the girls never did get tired of the hotel room. Go figure.

1 comment:

Haley said...

cute pics of the girls! too bad you never found a church. Guess you can't just get in the car and drive until you find one? Guess that only works in Utah!