Friday, June 17, 2011

Lacie's Birthday Projects

Rather than crowd Lacie's birthday post with project details, here's a separate post.

I would send you to my friend's blog to see all her cute ideas, but her blog is private, so you'll have to settle for my feeble attempts at duplicating her ideas.

It all started with this cute apron.  My friend added a pocket, a menu, a pad of paper and pencil, and created a waitress apron.  I just had to copy!  (But of course, I ran across a few bumps--the biggest one being that the first fabric I bought turned out to be super ugly once I had it cut! Back to JoAnn's.  Then, I had to decide to add some gathered ribbon trim at the last minute--even though I have never done that before. I didn't do it right, but my next apron--there's another birthday coming up--looks great!)  Bumps or no bumps, I loved the final product, and so did Lacie (and her sisters).  (Oh, and I made it reversible.  Just ignore the fact that the back is all wrinkled.)



I designed the menu in Photoshop.  If you are thinking of making your own, the menu is 4x6.  (I had quite a fun time with the menu, and I'd be happy to redesign it for someone else if you need one.)


Next, I took the dive into the world of felt food.  Have you seen this yet?  I saw it last year (also on my friend's blog), but I wasn't ready to try it.  Now I'm hooked!  I started with sandwiches, but Melissa and I have already started making more!  If you are interested, here are a few sites to try:  Snazzlecraft, Chasing Marcus, Helping Little Hands, Skip to My Lou, Craftiness is Not Optional, Escape Artist.  (So much felt food, so little time!)


Peanut Butter and Jelly

Ham/Turkey


Lacie immediately request some mayo and mustard.  I had to think outside of the box for that one!

 Care for Mayo and mustard?

 Maybe you'd just like Mayo?

Stay tuned for lots more felt food!  Today Melissa asked if we could replace all our plastic food with food we made ourselves.  Sounds good to me!   (Yep.  We're a little insane at our house.)

3 comments:

Haley said...

send us the plastic food. we just got the girls a kitchen for their b-day and need some food... the felt is so cute though! was it hard to make?

Haley said...

ok and my girls would love aprons. can you teach me how to make them? and bring your sewing machine up during vacation and we'll do it? that's not a pain, is it? :)

Megan said...

I can't believe how cute all your stuff turned out! Your stuff looks way cuter than mine! I love your menus, and your food is just perfect! I love that you can personalize it to what your kids love to eat. Your apron really made me smile, because I had that exact fabric in my cart and switched it at the last second. It turned out so cute! Happy Birthday, Miss Lacie!