I've been excited to start a garden in our new home, but nervous about the harsh climate. I've asked lots of questions of the locals, and given it a try.
Here's our experiment:

Half of our garden is planted with local soil mixed with some fertilizer from Home Depot. The other half is a local gardener's mix: 1/2 peat moss, 1/4 vermiculite, and 1/4 perlite. We planned to try using the local soil until we realized that it was mostly clay. I have planted the same things on both sides of the garden. We'll see what works.
I'm sure you can't see what I have written on the pictures, but I put it there to document my little science experiment. Just ignore the writing. (It just says what's in the soil mixture and what is planted in each 12x12 square.)


I'm using part "Square Foot Gardening" method and part local gardeners' ideas. We'll see how it goes. Do you like my grid marked off with thumbtacks and yarn? I think that will be much cheaper and easier than the wooden grid suggested on the gardening website. If I nail a grid to the top of my garden bed, how am I supposed to till it up next year? Seems silly to me.
I sure wish my Grandpa Nielson were here to help me. After I put the seeds in, I realized I had no idea how to water them without washing them away. Grandpa would know just how to do it. He was a master gardener. Either he's smiling as he watches from heaven, or he's having a really good laugh!
P.S. I stapled the ground cover to the box. I hope that wasn't a horrible idea. Somebody tell me if that's a no-no. I thought it would keep the weeds from slipping in. And, if you do know how to water the seeds right after you plant them, please tell me! Maybe I need to start over. Do you water around the seeds/plants, or right on top? I'm used to watering between the rows, but I never know how to start.

3 comments:
Wow! What a lot of work!! Email my dad...mdniels@juno.com. He took a "master gardner" course at USU and has been doing square foot gardneing in our backyard with similar soil to what you are using. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. He is LOVING gardening now that he has time. Grandpa would be so proud!
Wow! What a lot of work!! Email my dad...mdniels@juno.com. He took a "master gardner" course at USU and has been doing square foot gardneing in our backyard with similar soil to what you are using. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. He is LOVING gardening now that he has time. Grandpa would be so proud!
Wow! What a lot of work!! Email my dad...mdniels@juno.com. He took a "master gardner" course at USU and has been doing square foot gardneing in our backyard with similar soil to what you are using. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. He is LOVING gardening now that he has time. Grandpa would be so proud!
Post a Comment