Sunday, July 19, 2009

Steve's Fun Weekend

After three estimates and lots of discussion, we have decided to do our own landscaping.

Step 1: Removing our forest of weeds. (We started doing this early this summer, but stopped when we decided to have someone landscape the yard. Now that we are doing it ourselves, there is a little work to do!)

So here is how Steve spent his weekend--digging up weeds! Good job, Steve. There are only a few left. He and his assistant (Melissa) worked Friday evening, Steve and I (mostly Steve) worked Saturday morning, and the whole family (mostly Steve) worked Saturday night.

Lacie and Megan were in charge of filling buckets with the morning glory that I was pulling, and Melissa was in charge of dragging Daddy's weeds to the pile and emptying the girls' buckets. It was hard work, but it was really fun to see the girls working together.

There's only one small area left. Now, what do we do with the mess? I guess we'll get a permit and burn the weeds. (Mmm, I can smell the lovely scent already.)

Steve could barely move when it was time to get up this morning. Thanks for all the hard work!

Stay tuned for Step 2 (as soon as we figure out that should be!)

Want an idea of what the yard used to look like? In this picture, you can see the lot next door, where the weeds have not been touched. I bet you didn't know we lived so close to the woods!

1 comment:

Chantel said...

Great work and on such a hot, hot day. I bet Steve was tired and beat up after all that work. You're on your way to a wonderful yard though, it will be completely worth it.