I guess the Lord must really want me to learn something from Primary, because I can't seem to get away from it. Good thing I love it! Today I was called as the Ward Primary President in my new ward. This will be my third time in that calling. The first time I served around a year, and then the ward split. I was then called as Primary President in the new ward. I served for a few months, and then moved here to St. George. While we were renting a home here, I was the Girls' Activity Days leader, so I actually got to attend Sunday School and Relief Society for the first time in 10 years! (I have been in Primary that long.) I liked going to those meetings, but I really missed being in the Primary. My first few weeks, I kept wandering by the Primary room and feeling like I should be in there! Crazy! I guess I got my wish! (Although, in wishing to be back in Primary, I didn't really mean I wanted to be the President again!)
When we bought our home and moved to this ward, I was put in the nursery. I've been there for about six weeks, and I love it. I'm sad to leave those little kids. I'm excited to be back in my old calling again, though. I have two great counselors and a great secretary, so I'm excited to get back with the older kids again. It seems I learn more from them then they will ever learn from me!
There will be one slight change from the Primary that I have been used to. This ward has something like 150 (I'll have to check the number) primary children who come to church each week. That doesn't count the three nurseries that each have 12-14 kids! Wow! I don't know how I'll learn their names. Thankfully, the Primary Sacrament Meeting program was today, and the primary activities are done for the year. It will be nice not to have to worry about those things.
If anyone reading this is wondering what Primary is, here's a really quick explanation: Primary is the organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for children from ages three to twelve. Beginning at three years of age, children receive two hours of religious instruction each Sunday. One hour is spent with a teacher who provides a lesson for an age-specific group, and a second hour is spent in a combined group of children in instruction and singing.
The Primary President and her counselors oversee Primary, cub scouting, activities for the children, and many more things. If you want to know more about it, please ask me.

7 comments:
WoW, Heidi, you must really be good at it! Good luck! I'm sure you'll be awesome!
Thanks. Maybe I'm just not good enough at it. The Lord thinks that I need a lot of practice! :)
I dont know whether to say congratulations or condolences!! I know you will be great at it (again!). And I thought our one nursery with 13 was big...3!! no way!
Too funny. I saw you in action so I know you'll do a great job once again. I'm happy things are working out for you guys down there.
I can't believe you're President again! You'll do great. You did down here! It's just too bad you don't have a 3rd counselor this time! :)
Congrats on your calling! Enjoy all those children. You'll do great.
No wonder you get snatched for the calling... you're amazing and those children are sure in for a treat!
Post a Comment