Up until this weekend, Megan and Lacie both still had training wheels on their bikes. Why? Well, we just never got around to taking them to a parking lot where they could get going fast enough to learn. (Our backyard track is fun, but you have to ride slowly to maneuver the turns. Not the ideal situation for learning to ride sans training wheels.)
Friday, the girls had no school and Steve was off early, so we packed up the bikes, put the girls in long pants, knee pads, elbow pads and helmets, and headed for the church parking lot. We took the training wheels off and Daddy got ready to hold the bike up and do some teaching.
Apparently, no teaching was necessary. The girls were definitely ready! (I think Megan was just as surprised as we were at her skill. I love her happy giggles in the background.)
I used Steve's phone to video, so I can't edit the video at all. I can't make it shorter, and I can't backlight the dark parts. Sorry! I also couldn't zoom. Try to ignore my annoying commentary and jostling of the phone every time I hiccupped! Half the time the phone was facing into the sun, and I had no idea what I was recording.
Lacie was so eager to get going that she took one training wheel off by herself while Steve was busy chasing Megan. As soon as the wheels were off, she took off so fast that I missed her maiden voyage. Here's her second try. Be sure to watch until the end to check out her nonexistent stopping skills.
While the little ones practiced, Melissa got a little more adventurous with her roller blades. The parking lot is a little more difficult than our backyard!
After several attempts at learning to stop, Lacie decided that she wanted her training wheels back on. She was great at riding the bike, but the stopping was too scary. We think the bike is a little too tall for her, so we're going to fix the broken seat on her old (tiny) bike, and give that a try. I think she'll be more confident when she can touch flat-footed instead of on her tippy toes.
You can just barely see the crash at the end of this video. It wasn't bad. She hit the curb and flipped off at a very low speed. She was fine (she was quite padded with all her gear), but she didn't want to practice stopping anymore!
Do you think she likes pink?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment