Sunday, August 2, 2009

Field Trip


Thanks to my friend Megan, the girls and I got to visit The Great Harvest Bread Company and learn how bread is made.

The manager set a "world record" for the quickest bread dough by making it in 35 seconds (minus the yeast).


We learned that they make bread with only yeast, flour, water, salt and honey. Amazing!

Here are the girls (and lots of other kids) admiring the giant mixing bowl . . .

. . . and here's what one batch of bread looks like:

It gives a whole new meaning to "rolling in the dough!" (Okay, I couldn't possibly write a post about bread dough without at least one pun!)

Thanks again, Megan, for the fun learning adventure.

My favorite part was tasting the bread (until Megan walked out of the store and spit her bite onto the pavement--right in front of the door). How embarrassing. Can you imagine my conversation with the manager? "Thanks for giving us a tour of your store. Now can I have a cup of water to wash off the bread spit my daughter left on your doorstep?"

*Quickpage by Kristin Aagard.

4 comments:

Chantel said...

That was a fun time for the kids. My kids loved the bread, it's too bad it's so expensive.

Nathaly Blalock said...

Mmmm. Now I want homemade bread. I wish I had a mixer!!

And go Melissa! I was always too chicken for gymnastics!

Megan said...

so glad that you guys came! It was fun. I am so so slow getting my pictures posted. I definitely didn't notice the spit out bread on the doorstep...so you're good.

Jenni said...

Whoa look at that dough! I'm craving bread now too! What a fun outing!